[BESAdmin-Announcements] BES - Patch Management Product of the Year!

besadmin-announcements at bigmail.bigfix.com besadmin-announcements at bigmail.bigfix.com
Tue Dec 14 20:04:36 PST 2004

Patch Management Product of the Year

We are proud to announce that Information Security Magazine has chosen BES
as the Patch Management Product of the Year for 2004.

This award is based on enterprise users' ratings as the best for vendor
brand and reputation, quality of product, delivery of product as promised,
quality of technical support, technical innovation, company's strategic
vision, your competition positioning, the quality of the sales team,
interoperability and ease of doing business. We did not know we won the
award until the decision was made and we had no opportunity to talk to the
judges. This award was completely judged by the responses of the current
patch management users.

Thank you to all who were involved in helping us win this award!!!

If you would like more information, please see:
http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/ss/0,295796,sid6_iss526_art1054,00.htm
l#pm

Avoid Revoking BES user who created/upgraded the BES database

On a separate note, we have been having a few support issues that occurred
when revoking the BES Console administrator user that was used to create the
database (the first user that logs into BES) or the user that was used to
upgrade the BES database to BES 5.0 (the first user that logs into BES after
the upgrade). When you revoke a BES Console operator, you are telling BES to
cancel all the user's actions and not allow the user to log in or send more
actions. In the case of the user that created or upgraded the database, when
you revoke this user, you are essentially crippling your deployment.

To restore your BES deployment to working order, you need to do extensive
manual database work with the assistance of a BES support technician or you
need to restore a backup of your BES database. Please try to avoid revoking
the user that created or upgraded the database to avoid these issues.

BES 5.0 Features

Now that BES 5.0 has been released and most customers have upgraded, please
make sure to check out the new features available in BES 5.0 including the
Analyses, Visualization, Tasks, Software Deployment Wizard, custom Fixlet
content, and more!

Here is the changelist for BES 5.0:
http://support.bigfix.com/bes/changes/bes_5_0_features.pdf
Here is a guide to understanding the new BES 5.0 features and how they are
different from BES 4.1:
http://support.bigfix.com/bes/install/bes50upgradeguide.html

Thanks again!
BigFix Product Team