[BESAdmin-Announcements] Mobile Device Management (MDM) Supplement to V9.1 Platform Announcement

Announcements for BES Administrators besadmin-announcements at bigmail.bigfix.com
Tue Mar 18 10:54:30 PDT 2014

Mobile Device Management (MDM) Supplement to V9.1 Platform Announcement

IBM is pleased to announce version 9.1 of the IBM Endpoint Manager
platform and with this release there are some supplement points to take
note of:

1.      Mobile Device Management (MDM) will not work with the IBM Endpoint
Manager (IEM) V9.1 Enhanced Security options enabled. Enhanced Security
(SHA256) is a feature of the platform, not of MDM. It cannot be enabled
for Patch Management and disabled for MDM. A patch for MDM customers who
want to use Enhanced Security will be available in several weeks. MDM
customers are strongly advised to postpone their V9.1 upgrade until the
patch is available. The protection currently available in 9.0 and earlier
versions through SHA1 remains fully in place.

Optionally, MDM users may upgrade to V9.1 provided Enhanced Security
(SHA256 features) remain turned off. For more information about Enhanced
Security in IEM V9.1, see:

Platform Release Notes
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Change%20and%20Release%20Notes

Platform Documentation (IBM Knowledge Center), e.g.,
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS63NW_9.1.0/com.ibm.tivoli.tem.doc_9.1/Platform/Adm/c_scenarios_sha2_installation.html

2.      All MDM customers upgrading to V9.1:
Must run Fixlet 350: "Encryption components outdated for 9.1" on all
applicable machines and restart those machines when action completes.
This fixlet ensures that the MDM encryption tools used to configure
components/extenders and to send down encrypted profiles/redemption codes
remain compatible with V9.1.

3.      All MDM customers upgrading to V9.1:
Who subsequently remove, or accidentally delete, a site in their
deployment
Must complete the Workaround Procedure described here.
When a site is deleted or removed, one of the Proxy Agent files must be
deleted and the Proxy Agent restarted. If this is not done you may have
devices that fail to report-in or respond.

V9.1 Workaround Procedure
1.      Stop the Proxy Agent service.
2.      Copy the file: “SiteSubscriptions.json” from your Proxy Agent
installation directory (e.g., “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix
Enterprise\Management Extender") to a temporary folder.
3.      Delete the SiteSubscriptions.json file in the Proxy Agent
installation directory.
4.      Restart the Proxy Agent service.
5.      Verify that the Proxy Agent starts properly (service will say
"started").
6.      Wait 10 to 15 minutes for the SiteSubscriptions.json file to
regenerate.
7.      Verify that the Proxy Agent log shows no errors (check the Proxy
Agent log file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\Management
Extender\__Logs").
8.      Verify that you can send a message to an existing mobile device.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I do not use Mobile Device Management. Do I still need to do anything?