[BESAdmin-Announcements] GNU Bash "Shell Shock" Vulnerability Detection via BigFix

Announcements for BES Administrators besadmin-announcements at bigmail.bigfix.com
Thu Sep 25 18:45:15 PDT 2014

Dear BigFix Customers,

A serious vulnerability in the GNU Bash shell was announced today that
affects most Unix and Unix-like operating systems. This vulnerability does
not affect IBM Endpoint Manager directly but given the seriousness and
pervasiveness of the vulnerability the BigFix team thought it important
that our customers be aware of this issue.

The so called "Shell Shock" vulnerability is covered by two CVEs:
        http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-6271
        http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-7169

The vulnerability was discovered by Stephane Chazelas and announced on the
OSS-SEC mailing list (in addition to other security forums):
        http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q3/649

There are two ways the BigFix team is helping your organization deal with
this vulnerability:

First, we have published a detection Task and Analysis which are available
in the Patching Support content site. This content was published in
Patching Support v250, the Task and Analysis are named:

        Task 1828: Check for "Shell Shock" bash Vulnerability
(CVE-2014-7169)
        Analysis 1829: "Shell Shock" bash Vulnerability (CVE-2014-7169)
Status

Both the Task and Analysis need to be enabled to determine if your systems
are running a vulnerable version of the Bash shell.

Second, as patches become available from Operating System vendors we will
be quickly incorporating those patches into the content sties for those
specific Operating Systems.

Here is an updated status as of September 26 with patch content related to the bash vulnerability.