[BESAdmin-Announcements] More Solaris content + new version of Solaris Download Cacher!

Announcements for BES Administrators besadmin-announcements at bigmail.bigfix.com
Fri Nov 2 14:48:18 PST 2007

Hello!

The BigFix Product Engineering team has been working hard in recent
months to expand our Solaris patching support, and we have a few things
to show for it.

First off, some of you may have already noticed the addition of Solaris
10 x86 content to our "Patches for Solaris" site.  We have added over
one hundred Fixlet messages for security-related and recommended patches
for Solaris 10 x86 to the site.

Secondly, I am happy to announce the release of version 1.0.0.3 of the
BigFix Download Cacher Tool for Solaris.  This version offers some new
functionality that I think our customers who use Solaris can certainly
appreciate.  The latest version of the Download Cacher can be used to
download and cache Solaris patch packages and Recommended Patch Clusters
for Solaris releases 7, 8, 9, and 10 (sparc) as well as Solaris 10 x86.
You can deploy the tool on a BES Server machine using the task "Run
Solaris Download Cacher Tool - Windows" (ID#  5 in the "Patches for
Solaris" site) or reference the following KB article on the BigFix
support website for detailed information on how to run the tool
manually:
http://support.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/kbdirect.pl?id=371

We are also very pleased to announce the addition of the "Solaris
Maintenance" site to our existing patch content for Solaris.  The
"Solaris Maintenance" site contains Fixlet content for all non-security
and non-recommended patches for Solaris releases 7, 8, 9, and 10
(sparc), and Solaris 10 x86.  The latest version of the BigFix Download
Cacher tool for Solaris can be used to cache the necessary patches for
either Solaris Fixlet site.

Hopefully, this expanded support for Solaris will be an exciting
addition to our non-Windows patch content for both our customers who
currently use Solaris, and those who are still considering BigFix as a
patching solution for their Solaris systems.  Be on the lookout for more
additions in the future, as we continue to grow and improve our content.

Thanks!

-BigFix Product Team